ADVISORY: 31 Fire-safety Tips in Time for Fire

safety-img01

Tip no. 1: Be fire-safety conscious

March 1 is the start of Fire Prevention Month. Everyone is encouraged to be fire-safety conscious as fire safety is everyone’s concern.

Tip no. 2: Keep matches out of children’s reach

For their safety (and our homes’), matches and lighters should be placed in cupboards or drawers out of children’s reach.

Tip no. 3: Keep lit candles away from combustible materials

When lighting candles, make sure that they placed away from combustible materials, such as curtains, newspapers, etc.

Tip no. 4: Do not use substandard electrical wirings and equipment

Faulty electrical wiring is one of the main causes of fires, so make sure to use only the best type.

Tip no. 5: Avoid using your electric fan continuously for 24 hours

To prevent them from overheating, electric fans should be switched off after several hours of continuous use.

Tip no. 6: Do not smoke in bed

Lit cigarette butts can easily ignite inflammable materials, such as bed sheets and pillowcases, so avoid smoking in bed.

Tip no. 7: Unplug and shut off electrical equipment and LPG tanks

When leaving the house, make sure that all electrical equipment and LPG tanks are properly disconnected and shut off.

Tip no. 8: Never leave your kitchen while cooking

Do not leave cooking food unattended. If you have to leave the kitchen, turn off the stove and take the pans and pots off the heat.

Tip no. 9: Keep them clean and grease-free

Your stove must be kept clean and grease-free at all times. In addition, use soapy water to check your LPG hose and connectors for any leaks.

Tip no. 10: Avoid octopus connections

Overloading of electrical outlets and using octopus connections and worn-out cords are some of the leading causes of household fires.

Tip no. 11: Do not store items above the stovetop

Space might be a big issue in today’s homes, but as much as possible, make sure to keep the space directly above your stovetop item-free.

Tip no. 12: Idle electrical appliances must be unplugged

When not in use, unplug.

Tip no. 13: Keep inflammable liquids and other combustible items away from the stove

Cooking oil, fuel, newspaper, and other combustible items must be kept away from the stove, especially when cooking.

Tip no. 14: Make sure smoke alarms are working

Ensure that your smoke alarms are working well and replace batteries at least every six months.

Tip no. 15: Do not use water to put out grease fire

When frying and your pan bursts into flames, do not douse it with water. Instead, put a lid on it or cover it with damp cloth.

Tip no. 16: Extension cords are not meant to be used as permanent outlets

Extension cords should only be used temporarily and not as permanent wiring devices. Also, make sure that cords are not looped around sharp objects that could cause them to fray.

Tip no. 17: Place electric fans away from curtains

Make sure that electric fans are placed away from curtains to avoid snagging, which may lead to fire.

Tip no. 18: Do not leave an electric fan switched on when it’s not rotating

Clean and oil them regularly to make they’re working properly.

Tip no. 19: Defective appliances must not be used and should be fixed immediately

Do not use defective appliances as they may lead to overheated wiring.

Tip no. 20: Unplug your flat iron and rice cooker after use

Take extra care when using your flat iron or rice cooker, and unplug them immediately after use.

Tip no. 21: Put out any lit candle before going to sleep

It is common in Filipino homes to light candles in altars, but to be safe, make sure to put out lit candles before going to sleep.

Tip no. 22: Place a lit candle on a candleholder

If you have none, place it in the middle of a basin partly filled with water and keep it away from combustible materials.

Tip no. 23: Use smoke detectors

Install smoke detectors in bedrooms, the kitchen, and living areas. They sound off an alert when fire is still in a controllable state.

Tip no. 24: Keep a fire extinguisher

If possible, have an ABC type of fire extinguisher in your kitchen and workshop areas—and take time to learn how to use it. A stands for light materials such as paper, plastic, wood, leaves, etc.; B stands for flammable liquids like kerosene, paint, solvents, etc.; and C stands for energized electrical equipment such as plugged appliances and tools.

Tip no. 25: Stay away from inflammable liquids

Do not store large quantities of inflammable liquids in the house and basement areas.

Tip no. 26: Dispose of combustible items and trash

Oily rags, newspaper, and other trash must be disposed in a safe waste bag or container.

Tip no. 27: Clean up spilled oil and grease from vehicles promptly

Grease and spilled oil from vehicles must be cleaned promptly.

Tip no. 28: Plug your power tools straight to the wall socket

When using power tools, make sure plug them directly to a wall socket, or use only heavy-duty extension cords when needed.

Tip no. 29: Keep your garage well-ventilated

As garages are place where combustible items are normally store, make sure they are well-ventilated to avoid buildup of fumes and heat from tools.

Tip no. 30: Keep your place clean at all times

Dispose dry leaves, cobwebs, loose paper, and other combustible debris at all times.

Tip no. 31: Today is the culmination of Fire Prevention Month 2017

Let us all be fire-safety conscious at all times and make every day a fire prevention day. #

Source: Lamudi Philippines & Bureau of Fire Protection

Comments are closed.